Equality and Diversity
Equality and diversity have always been contentious subjects; they ask us to examine ourselves in order to identify the prejudices and attitudes we hold, as well as to become conscious of the potential power our words and actions have to offend and ostracise people.
Fundamentally, Equality and Diversity are about acknowledging that everybody has a right to fair and equal treatment, irrespective of age, gender, sexual orientation, disability or any other characteristic. At Aureus Primary School, we are fully committed to doing everything we can to provide a curriculum that is equitable in offer and diverse in representation.
Equality task and finish group
In Autumn 2020, we formed the Equality and Diversity Task and Finish Group comprising of teachers, learning assistants, School Standards Board members, parents and local community members e.g. from different faith groups.
The purpose of this group is to set out how our practice and policies have due regard to the need to:
- Eliminate discrimination, harassment and victimisation
- Advance equality of opportunity and
- Foster good relationships between groups
- actively teach children to identify and challenge discrimination
- actively teach children how to be authentic allies
Phased Schedule (2020 – 2022)
- Autumn 2020 – Spring 2021: establish group and adopt a common framework and develop an audit tool
- Summer 2021 – Autumn 2021: conduct curriculum audits
- Autumn 2021 – Spring/Summer 2022: update curriculum, update equality statement and deliver staff training
We have referenced the following in our work:
- UNCRC (United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child)
- Non-discrimination (article 2)
- Best interest of the child (article 3)
- Right to life survival and development (article 6)
- Right to be heard (article 12)
The protected characteristics are not just something we reference in our policies and curriculum, rather they are the basis of our advocacy.
The 9 protected characteristics (Equalities Act):
- Religion or belief
- Sexual orientation
- Gender reassignment
- Pregnancy or maternity
- Marriage and civil partnership